Thursday, March 4, 2010

Tortilla Soup, Macadamia Brie and goji snacks

Lots on my mind lately that I really want to blog about but that will have to wait for now.  So I will quickly post a few things I've whipped up this last week.

Recipe testing for Celine & Joni's new cookbook is ending soon so this past week I've been busy.  This is a Macadamia Brie which I've got to tell you, an  interesting flavor, but really good.  It was so easy to throw together and what a great addition to serving this as an appetizer with a fruit compote on top served alongside crackers, pears and apples and a lovely glass of sparkling or red wine.
I picked me up some organic raw cacao gogi energy squares the other day from New Frontiers and these babies are so good!  Now I need to try to make them.

It's still soup/chilli weather outside so I wanted something warm  for dinner but didn't want to make chilli... again!  So for something different I made us Tortilla Soup.  I would of liked it hotter, was out of jalepeno's, but it still went over really well with the family, everyone had seconds.  I topped it off with baked tortilla strips, avocado and a homemade cashew cheese.  By the way this Nutty Cashew Cheese is also in the upcoming cookbook I've been testing and it melts!!!  I made a quesadilla with it the other day and I was so excited!!!

Tortilla Soup
8 corn tortillas for baking 
cooking spray
olive or canola oil
1 large sweet onion
3-4 large garlic cloves, finely chopped 
1 jalepeno(optional)or half if really hot
1 1/2 tsp oregano
3/4-1 tsp cumin
6 cups vegetable broth or no-chicken broth(imagine foods)
1 bay leaf
1 14.5 oz can Muir Glen roasted tomatoes or you could use fresh tomatoes diced.
1  4oz. diced green chillies
2 Tbsp. Tequila (optional)
3/4 cup frozen corn
1 1/4 cup black beans 
1/4 cup cilantro (optional)for garnish
avocado(garnish)
non-dairy cheese(optional)

Directions:

Heat oven to 350.  Take each tortilla and spray both sides with canola or olive oil spray(this cuts down on fat).  Take 4 tortillas and slice into thing strips, the other 4 cut into quarters. Next lay tortilla strips and whole tortillas on a cookie sheet or aluminum foil placed on oven rack.  After 5-10 minutes, when the quarted tortillas are soft take out and set aside.  Continue to bake the strips for another 10 minutes until crispy, take out and set aside.

In a large cast iron pot or stew pot heat olive oil/canola oil and then add onion.  Saute until almost soft then add the garlic.  Once completely soft add the bay leaf ,jalepeno(if you are choosing to), green chillies, oregano, cumin and saute another minute.  Next stir in the tequila if you choose to, tomatoes and the quartered tortilla's and the broth.  Simmer with lid on for about 25minutes.  Once this is done take an emersion blender to the soup and blend until smooth or desired consistancy, it will look a bit creamy from the tortillas. Add the corn and black beans, cook for another 10 minutes.  Add salt and pepper to taste.  Ladle into bowls, top with tortilla strips and any other garnish you may want.

Enjoy!

7 comments:

  1. Those energy squares look awesome, I will have to check them out! Thanks! :) And thanks for the comment on my blog, happiness is contagious!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks for posting that recipe, i saw rachael ray make a chicken tortilla soup a few weeks ago and thought it would be great to veganise. I'm definitely trying this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i've never had brie, let alone macademia brie! yumm tortilla soup, love vegan soups, will def try this one!

    ReplyDelete
  4. you bet i'm printing off the recipe for your tortilla soup, JoLynn. it sounds most excellent and it looks darn deeeeeelicious! very awesome on testing recipes for joni and celine. the macadamia brie looks rock'n and i'm so jealous you're testing out a delicious cashew cheeze for them, too. yum! i hope you've been enjoying your weekend - and i hope the weather gets awesome for ya soon!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mmmm! That sounds good - both the brie and the soup. I knew there was a soup that I wanted to make, but it slipped my mind. Thanks for reminding me about it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. That brie looks crazy! I bet it's awesome, too, since macadamias are so creamy and mild in the first place.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, the tortilla soup sounds delicious! I'll have to give it a try when I get home. Cheers from Hamburg, Germany...

    ReplyDelete