Saturday, June 9, 2012

Raw Ranch Dressing

Hi everyone!!!  Summer vacation has started for everyone.  How are you enjoying yours?
  My son graduated from the 8th grade last week which was bittersweet.  He has matured and grown so much over the last 3 years of middle school.  Crazy how time flies.  Those of you with kids know and you with little ones enjoy every moment because the next thing you know that are grown.  Okay enough of that.
Let's get onto some yummy stuff.

I've noticed that some of you stumble upon great finds at Costco well the last time I was there I found a bag of

 Raw Hemp Hearts from Manitoba 1.8lbs for $14.99!   These taste really good too. Some of my other buys are organic rice milk, organic coffee, organic spinach, pesticide free blueberries, garlic and organic corn chips and gluten free chips. What are some things you buy at Costco?
We've been eating a lot more salads lately and it's nice to change the dressings up according to the type of salad.  I usually make us an easy vinegar/olive oil or lemon/olive oil with salt and pepper but a creamy dressing once in a while is nice.  There is a nice Raw Caesar Dressing I make but I was looking for a Raw Ranch and found one. The first time I made this recipe I followed the recipe exactly and it was a little too vinegary for my taste but some may like that.  The changes I made on my second try were to only use maybe 2 T. of cider vinegar and more lemon juice.  I also only used 1 T. raw agave.  You can play with this recipe by adding more herbs too. 
Ranch Dressing/Dip
Posted by Snowdrop on Raw Freedom Community

  Number of Servings: 24 (or 3 cups)
Ingredients
1 1/2 cups nuts (cashew or mac or combo) soak them for a creamier dressing (1-2 hrs is fine, then drain)
3/4 - 1 cup filtered water for blending
3 tablespoons lemon juice (translates into approx 1/2 lemon)
1/3 cup cider vinegar
 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
3 tablespoons agave (or 3 soaked dates)
2 cloves garlic
1 teaspoon garlic pwd
3 teaspoons onion pwd
1 teaspoon dill
1 tablespoon sea salt
1/2 teaspoon basil
And to add after it's done:
1/4 cup finely minced parsley
another 1/2 t dill, minced

Directions
 In blender or food processor blend all ingredients till creamy and smooth except the last 2, then once blended, stir in the last 2 ingredients.

Thickens in fridge.
Thin to desired consistency if using as a dressing- or toss into wet lettuce leaves as is

Carmella's Notes:
~ This yields quite a bit of dressing, so you might want to consider halving the recipe.
~ Last time I made this, I completely forgot to put the dates in and it was still outstanding.

The raw ranch dressing was used on a green salad with crumbled mushroom pecan burgers I made.

Hope you are enjoying your weekend! 
I'll be back on here sooner than later!

6 comments:

  1. oh that sounds so delicious! I was at a restaurant w/ a salad bar the other day, and was CRAVING ranch dressing (i'm vegan!)...it was the weirdest craving, but I was like...I need a vegan version! This is PERFECT!! I can't wait to try it! thanks so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. glutenfreehappytummy-what I like about this recipe is that the flavors can be adjusted to your taste. Hope you like it.

      Delete
  2. Congrats to the grad! Haven't been shopping too much at Costco lately, the farmers market has been the place to be. Basil, tomatoes, cherries... And lettuce too, so that'll be great to try the raw ranch dressing. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. chow vegan- Farmers Market is jumping right not with beautiful vegetables and fruit. The taste of a fresh grown tomato is so much better than one sitting in a regular market.

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm always looking for yummy salad dressings and I'm excited to have found your ranch dressing recipe. I have a huge salad for lunch every day so I like to mix it up. Lately I've been in a tahini dressing rut. Thanks for sharing! Jen

    ReplyDelete