Monday, May 10, 2010

REVIEWS: French Meadow Bakery and Miessence certified organics

It's Monday and I hope all of you moms out there had a wonderful day with your families yesterday.
My mother-in-law came up on Saturday and we hung out Sunday morning, it was a bit chilly, and watched It's Complicated, very cute and funny movie.  Then my father-in-law and grandma drove up and we all went to dinner.  Very nice.  Oh and check this out!

My mother-in-law designed this gorgeous necklace and earrings.  She picked out and bought the crystals, etc. and her friend put it together for me.  It's even more beatiful in person. Now Dave and I just need somewhere special to go so I can wear it.  

Now for the reviews.
I've been lucky enough to get the chance to review a couple of products from some fabulous companies.  One company is French Meadow Bakery which uses certified organic grains and non-GMO ingredients.  Their baked goods include, breads, bagels and tortillas and range from vegan-kosher-low glycemic and gluten free products. So there is something for everyone!  Most of their breads/bagels are vegan and they are labeled very clearly.  The gluten free products do contain egg whites which was a bummer to us.  I'm hoping they try to come up with a good gf vegan bread.   
  
If you love hemp you will love these!  These Hemp Bagels have a very earthy and hearty taste.  Loaded with hemp, flax, pumpkin seeds, poppy seeds, quinoa..the list goes on, it's just amazing how they pack so much nutrition into these things!  Next was the Spelt Bread which is delicious!  It kind of has a sourdough taste to it, well to us anyways, and the family loves sourdough so this was a winner. We will be buying this bread again. I can't wait to try more of their breads.  My next buy will be their tortillas.  If you go to their website French Meadow Bakery  you can print out a $1 coupon.  Hope you give them a try! 
 I was very excited when I won the Miessence giveaway from Green and Crunchy because I have been wanting to try some of their products for a long time.  Miessence is an Australian based company that uses 100% natural and organic ingredients and is completely free of synthetics.  So Stephanie from Organicology sent me over these wonderful products.  Toothpaste, lip balm and a sample of coconut body milk.  This toothpaste is fantastic! There is no flouride, aluminum, artificial sweeteners or other harsh ingredients. So there  I was sitting on the couch and all of a sudden I realized that I kept rubbing my tongue over my teeth because they were feeling so smooth.  If you ever had braces and then when the braces are taken off and your teeth feel so smooth, well that's the feeling you get after using this stuff.   I know it sounds kind of weird but it's true. The toothpaste has sodium bicarbonate(baking soda)in it, so although you do taste it, it's mild compared to other brands who use it.  Also there isn't a long after taste.  After the first time using this toothpaste I was worried my coffee wasn't going to taste very good but the baking soda taste was already gone.  You are just left with a refreshing and clean taste in your mouth.  Keaton and my mother-in-law also had the same results.  The lipbalm smells lovely and works great as well.  The sample of the tropical body milk is a nice treat to put on the skin.  The smell has a lovely, subtle smell of  coconut with a hint of plumeria and feels so nice.  I think I'm going to try some of their perfumes out.  I haven't been wearing perfume due to the synthetics in them so I've been on the look out for a nice one I could wear.  If you have any you've tried I'd love to hear about them.  
So to some everything up, I had some great success in trying both food and body products from some wonderful companies that care about the environment and our health.
I hope you enjoyed the reviews and try some of them. 
   
I couldn't leave ya'll without a delicious treat now could I?  This is one of the most moist cakes I have ever made and eaten.  It's the lemon coconut bundt cake from VCON.  I made a lemon glaze which I drizzled over the top to balance the sweetness of the cake out.  You have to make this cake!!! 

Have a wonderful day!

6 comments:

  1. So jealous on those gorgeous jewels! My mom makes jewelry as well! I love it! :) I am also jealous on your win! Lucky gal! Enjoy! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was a nice day you had..i spent it alone napping the day away...it was delightful. I love the necklace, what a beautiful gift from your mother in law...she must be a very nice in law. Nice reading your post. you are also on my blogroll.

    http://nuestracena-vegancuisine.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. the necklace and matching earrings are stunning, JoLynn! wowzers! your mother-in-law is one helluva designer. so very cool on you two getting to spend some time together for mother's day! the organic beauty products sound too good to be true! i totally know what you mean about the "just got the braces removed" feeling. ah ha ha! i wore mine for almost 3 years waaaaay back in the day. it was like i was having an extra birthday the day they were taken off. sadface on the gluten-free products containing egg whites. **sigh** i find that often and it's so disappointing. i've been experimenting in making my own gluten-free sammie bread, but i'm still far away from having it just the way i'd like it. the hemp bagels sound delightful, and i looooove that lemon coconut bundt cake! delicious yummies, fo 'sho!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is so pretty! What a great MIL you have! You must go somewhere lovely to show it off!
    Those hemp bagels sound like something I would love for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mihl-you are too funny!

    This necklace was my MIL first one she designed. She is an artist though, and she has painted some really pretty pictures. I'll have to post the one she painted for my birthday.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lucky you to receive that beautiful jewelry.

    I completely forgot about the French Meadow coupons I was supposed to use to review their bread. Thanks for reminding me! Those hemp bagels look delish. And the cake — well, what can I say? Got to make it asap.

    ReplyDelete