Saturday, May 1, 2010

Roasted tomato basil soup and raw nut oatmeal treats

I hope everyone is enjoying there beautiful weekend!  We are just kind of hanging out and enjoying the great weather.
So I know it's not tomoto season yet but I have really had the taste for tomato
 soup.  You see I had it all planned out as when to make this because it was really cold and raining one day last week and I thought, "how perfect to make this on a stormy night."  That's what I did!
I swear this is the absolute best tasting tomato soup.   Years ago I was watching the Barefoot Contessa on t.v. and saw her make this and it looked so easy to make and I absolutely love roasted tomatoes!  You can click here to get the recipe.  I used ripe plum tomatoes for this but sometimes I mix in cherry tomatoes as well.  When the tomatoes are done roasting, break off a piece of  rustic bread and put a tomato on it and it's tastes oh...so...good!  You'll want to save some for the soup though so don't eat all of them. lol!
I also threw in some sliced garlic to be roasted with the tomatoes.  It calls for butter but I didn't use any EB, just olive oil.  I also think fresh thyme is better than the dried for this and the red pepper, I cut back on too.
Hope you try it, you won't be dissapointed.
 
I'm trying to make more raw nut treats to have around so Keaton can just grab them and get his sweet fix.  I tried to make these more like an oatmeal cookie.  These ones have 1/2C. raw almonds, 1/2C. raw cashews, 8/9 dates, 1/2 C. oatmeal, 2Tbsp. shredded coconut, 2Tbsp. flax seed and dark chocolate chunks.  I shaped them into squares.
I'm looking forward to making a raw strawberry cheesecake with Keaton tomorrow.
Have a great rest of your weekend!

12 comments:

  1. I love roasted anything. Roasted tomato soup looks amazing! I can just tasty how yummy it would be. :-)

    Raw strawberry cheesecake!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You've made me realize just now that I've never actually made tomato soup, and that seems incredibly wrong. I think I'll have to go with your roasting method- It sounds incredible!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That soup sounds really good. I'll have to keep it in mind for the summer when we're on fresh tomato overload!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Drooling. That soup looks phenomenal! Yum! Totally awesome raw nut snacks too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. tomato and basil were meant to go together. sounds like a absolutely awesome tomato soup. thanks for sharing the recipe link!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I made the oatmeal treats this morning (and blogged about it). Thanks for the idea.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh I dearly love the barefoot contessa. She has a lot of veganizable recipes, and her simple veggie reciples always turn out divine.

    ReplyDelete
  8. hooray for some nice weather last weekend! i love that you made some deeeeeelicious roasted tomato soup on the stormy cool day last week - what a comforting and uber tasty idea, JoLynn! i've been craving tomatoes lately as well - i've been thinking of marinara sauces, fresh salsa, and now i'm gonna dream of this soup! yum! and i'm gonna follow your lead with just olive oil instead of eb and fresh thyme. good call! the raw treats sound great & look delicious, perfect for sweet snacks - i can't wait to see the cheezecake. w00t!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This looks so pretty and delicious!!! Mmm, I love having an appetite again! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Is there any chance I can convince you to add a free FeedBurner "subscribe via email" button to your blog? I just found your blog today and I love it!!! But I prefer email updates and don't use a Reader program. Please let me know! Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Kat-you should be able to subscribe by email as of now. Thanks for finding my blog and liking it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. hmmm I still can't, but I'll keep coming back to see if you added a button! Right now you can only subscribe to new comments on a particular post or you can subscribe to post via a Reader Feed, but not new posts by email. Maybe it's just taking awhile to show up. :) Thanks!

    ReplyDelete