Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Last day of Vegan MoFo 2010! Frosty Stew and Peanut Butter Cookies

It's the end of the night of MoFo 2010! 
I'm pushing the time here because it's almost midnight. 
It's been fun and a bit stressful at the same time to try and blog everyday. I'm bummed that I had some hiccups regarding computer/internet issues during the month.  I really enjoyed visiting more blogs and seeing all of the talented vegan cooks and  bakers out there in blogland.  There are a plethera of recipes I want to make and I figure if I make all of them I'll never have to make another meal more than once! lol!   

 Thanks to all of you who have visited my blog and kept me going by your comments.  Until next year of Vegan MoFo...keep on bloggin'.



Here's a cookbook I bought when my son was born, 12 years ago.  I made most of his food...yes it took some time but I just felt better doing it.  I also wanted my son to have more of an open palate and to enjoy all kinds of foods or shall I say...flavors.  This is a vegetarian cookbook, I wasn't vegan back then, but my son loved the recipes.  I even enjoyed them too.  Which brings me to tell you why I'm talking about this book.  I remembered making a really good stew from this book(it's been years) so I decided to make it for Dave's birthday tonight.  It's called Frosty Stew and it has all kinds of root vegetables, dark ale(for depth) and bouquet garni for the herbs.  This would even be good with tempeh in it.
  Next time I will not chop the veggies up so much, I don't know what I was thinking, but it turned out really good.  I actually had other plans for this stew but it didn't work out so I'll save it for some other time.

A couple of weeks ago I received a copy of More Great Good Dairy-Free Desserts Naturally by Fran Costigan
from the Book Publishing Company.  This is a great book for everyone to have.  Fran Costigan teaches at the Natural Gourmet Institute in NYC.  Looking through the book I found a recipe for Peanut Butter Cookies and they looked perfect.  They hardly have any additional fat in them besides the peanut butter.  Dave loves peanut butter cookies and well  I just don't ever make them so.....for his birthday I did.
 They turned out a bit crunchy on the outside and chewy on the inside.  Just perfect!  Now I have to try to find a GF version for Keaton.  Hmmm?


Enjoy your night!

7 comments:

  1. I need a cookie (a nice perfect one like in your photo). PB ones are the best!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These seem to be really yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I haven't made simple PB cookies in ages, but I do love them... They're such classics! This rendition looks perfect, with those flawless criss-crosses and everything

    ReplyDelete
  4. happy MoFo'n to you, JoLynn. you rocked hard this MoFo, my friend! yay!

    it was really fun, but also stressful for me as well. it wasn't too bad the previous years, but maybe it was the month of november or something. i dunno. i did enjoying drooling over everyone's thanksgiving plates though. mmmmm!

    i was telling dan about your marsala and he sooo wants to try it. we're gonna make it sometime next week. i can't wait!

    my mom used to make all my food for me when i was little as well - baby food 'n all. that book is adorable and so cool that you revisited it. the frosty stew sounds fantastical & looks awesome - i love the ale for more flavor and the bouquet garni. w00t! those peanut butter cookies = perfect!!! i've only made flourless ones for myself, but i might have to hunt down that recipe and make them for dan. they look amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy birthday to your little one! So lucky to get such awesome treats!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your blog is very beautiful! Thanks so much!
    We've linked yours to ours.
    Peace & blessings,
    Grace for Vegan VN (VietNamAnChay.blogspot.com)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yum, peanut butter cookies! The stew looks great too. It's fun to dig up old recipes that haven't been made for a long time and relive them. :-)

    ReplyDelete