Monday, November 29, 2010

I know it's a bit late but... Thanksgiving grub!

Howdy everyone! I hope everyone had a wonderful Thanksgiving out here in the U.S.A. and for those of you in other parts of the world...I hope you had a great weekend.
I'm so bummed that I haven't been able to blog.   We've had our internet and land line down since last Wednesday.  We've switched to cable but when the technician came on Friday and then left, our internet was freezing up.  Last night we spoke with a friend who is a computer guy and he told us what to do.  So here we are...Monday the 29th!

Moving forward we had a really nice Thanksgiving down at my in-laws.  My brother came out from AZ with my nephew.  We met up with some friends we haven't seen in a while for dinner the night before.  Good times!
Some ingredients used for the meal and dessert.





Vegetable Succotash



This is kind of like succotash but it doesn't have any lima beans in it. My brother-in-law that passed away quite a few years ago, this was his favorite veggie dish I made, so whenever I make this it's in honor of him.  We miss you Zig! My mother-in-law was very happy that I was making dish this year.   The ingredients are: red and yellow bell pepper, yellow onion, chopped garlic, sage(use fresh if you have it), fresh corn, zucchini, yellow squash, olive oil, salt and pepper.  You just heat up some olive oil, add garlic for about a minute.  Then if you have fresh sage add that and saute for about 30sec, if you have dried rubbed sage add later.  Add the veggies and cook until cooked but not mushy.  Season with salt and pepper.  The sage is what totally makes this dish!



Trader Joe's Cranberry Sauce(L), Veggie Succatash(bottom), Mashed Potatoes w/brocolli(right),
Field Roast-Celebration Roast(top) with Golden Gravy.




The potatoes were made by my sister-in-law and she just diveded half and left out the butter and cheese.  The golden gravy recipe I use is from The Real Food Daily Cookbook.  The Celebration Roast from Field Roast is so juicy, it's really really good!  We also had sweet potatoes and a green salad.

 

Pumpkin Cheesecake

This years pumpkin cheesecake was thicker and lighter due to using silken tofu.  You can forgo the silken tofu and sub in more non-dairy cream cheese if you want a richer more dense cheesecake but we loved the taste of this version.  It's almost mousse like.


Pumpkin Cheesecake

Crust:

Preheat oven to 350.
2 paks graham crackers(there are 3 in a box)
1/4 C. organic sugar
1/3 C. Earth Balance
1/2 C. pecans, crushed

In a food processer pulse the pecans until crushed(don't process into fine powder)then pour in a bowl.
Next add graham crackers into processer and pulse until fine crumbs.  Add the sugar and Earth balance until combined then add the pecan back in and completely process together.  

In a cheesecake pan pour graham cracker mixture into it and pack down.  Bake in oven for about 7 min.

Take out and cool down.  Once cooled down wrap aluminum foil around the bottom because you will be baking the cheesecake in a water bath and you don't want water seeping into the cheesecake due to the cheesecake pan.

Filling:
2 8oz. containers of Tofutti Better than Cream Cheese or any other non-dairy cream cheese
1 12oz. pak silken tofu, firm 
1 15 oz. can organic pumpkin
1 C. organic sugar
1/2 C. organic brown sugar 
2 tsp. vanilla
3 T. cornstarch or arrowroot
1 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. ginger
1/4 tsp. nutmeg
1/4 tsp. cloves

In a food processor(blends better) or hand mixer, blend together Tofutti and silken tofu until smoothe.  Then add the rest of the ingredients and blend until all of the ingredients are thoroughly blended together and smooth.

Pour filling on top of graham cracker crust.

You will  need a baking sheet or something that has at least a 2 inch lip. 
Put baking sheet into oven then put cheesecake pan into the middle of the baking sheet.  Add boiling or very hot tap water into the baking pan so the water goes up almost 1-inch up the side of the cheesecake pan.  The reason for the water is that it keeps the cheesecake from cracking. Bake for 45-50min.  Until cheesecake is set in the middle.  

Once cheesecake is done let cool down to room temperature until putting into the refrigerator.  Chill at least 4 hours but it's better the longer it is refrigerated.  
I will be posting tomorrow.  It's my husbands b-day tomorrow so I'll be making something special. 

6 comments:

  1. Succotash for Thanksgiving!? That feels so like a zesty twist for me (my family *never* makes the 'tash).

    ReplyDelete
  2. so glad you got to spend lots of time with family and caught up with some friends over the holiday. w00t! i'm also glad your have internets again, i missed you! your plate of yumminesses looks awesome - and i looooove the succotash. it's so colorful and sounds great - and it's really cool you make it in honor of your brother-in-law. :) your cheeze cake looks divine - i think i love your lighter version - totally gonna have to make it for dan and i. we can use these g-f vanilla cookies for our crust, too. mmmmmmm! wish Mr. Dreamin' It a happy birthday for me tomorrow, JoLynn! i can't wait to see what deliciousness you cook up for him!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a bummer about your internet!

    That cheesecake looks sooo good and so does everything else.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cheesecake sounds yummy! And good to know the Field Roast is good. I just got my first Tofurkey today to try- to see if I'd like one for Christmas. But the Field Roast I want to try too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy birthday to your husband! I hope he has a very special day.
    I love that you made that dish in honor of your bil. I often make a dish in honor of a friend or loved one who is no longer with us to celebrate.
    Your dinner looks fantastic, and it's not even been a week, yet, I still haven't gotten my dinner post up. It's never too late to oogle delicious food!

    ReplyDelete
  6. looks so amazing and yummy! I have to make that cheesecake!

    ReplyDelete