Sunday, November 14, 2010

Vegan Mofo#14/ Gingerbread Biscotti & Cranberry Pistachio Biscotti

Another warm day out here in California.  Beautiful! 

Just the other night I made a couple of Biscotti recipes.  I love Biscotti, always have, always will.  I love the  slightly sweet taste and the big crunch.  I'm not much into dunking my biscotti but my Cranberry Pistachio Biscotti does very well in the dunking area.


Gingerbread Biscotti









So this gingerbread biscotti recipe is taken from the biscotti recipe in Veganomicon.  I did make some changes due to I wanted less fat and less sugar.  A true biscotti isn't very sweet like a chocolate chip cookie for instance.  I usually cut down on the sugar in recipes because it seems like they are always just too sweet.
The following are the changes I made to the recipe and it still came out crispy crunchy!
1/2 C. sugar(instead of 3/4 C.)
1/3 C. oil (instead of 1/2 C.)
1/4 tsp salt(instead of 1/2tsp)
added 2 T. molasses
3/4 tsp nutmeg
1 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
2 tsp. ginger
1/4 tsp. cloves
The only thing missing was vegan white chocolate drizzled on top.  I have to order vegan white chocolate and I keep forgetting to.

Cranberry Pistachio Biscotti

This combo is so delicious and the looks remind me of Christmas in a cookie.  I didn't have the time but I wanted to dunk half into dark chocolate, but you could add chocolate chips or chunks of chocolate into the mix if you wish.  These are definitely ones to dunk into coffee or tea.  They are more crunchy and drier which I like.  I so loved how these turned out.  Keaton doesn't like biscotti so I didn't try to make them gluten free but I would still like to try it out.  So if you come up with a great GF biscotti let me know.  Jessy?

A while back I checked out the Millenium Cookbook and got a great biscotti recipe that didn't have any oil in the recipe but I can't seem to find the recipe soooooo. I went to Fat Free Kitchen blog and found her gingerbread biscotti recipe and just added changes to it.

 Cranberry Pistachio Biscotti

2 cups white organic flour(note below) 
1/2 cup sugar

3/4 teaspoon baking soda
1 1/2 tablespoons Ener-G egg replacer
4 T.water
4 T. Hemp Milk(divided)
1 tsp. vanilla
1/4 tsp. salt
1/3 C. dried cranberries
1/2 C. pistachios


Preheat oven to 350F.
In a bowl mix together flour, baking soda and salt.  Set aside.  In a large bowl whisk the Ener-G egg replacer with the water and 2 T. hempmilk until frothy and thick.  Next whisk in the sugar,vanilla and 2 T. of Hempmilk until well combined.  Stir in the dry ingredients to the wet.  Once well combined add the cranberries and pistachios.  If dough is a bit dry add in more hemp or water a tablespoon at a time.  Form into ball.  Take the dough out and put on a prepared cookie sheet(sprayed with an oil) and form into a long loaf about 11 inch long, 3-4 inches wide and 1-inch high.  Bake for about 30-35 min. just until the loaf is slightly a very very light brown starting.

Remove baking sheet when finished baking, let cool for 20min. and lower oven temp to 300F.

Once the loaf is cool, take off cookie sheet onto cutting board and cut in about 1/2 inch diagonal slices.  Place the slices back on cookie sheet cut side down and bake for 10min.  Then turn cookies over and bake for 10 more minutes.

Note-I think spelt flour may give this cookie a slightly lighter texture.

9 comments:

  1. Oh yummah yummah. They both look really good but the Cranberry Pistacio ones are just stealing the show.
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love biscotti too, even though I rarely dunk mine (not a coffee drinker!). I am quite keen on your cranberry pistachio variation since nuts and I get along nicely! And, well, cranberries are at their prime right now!

    ReplyDelete
  3. when i was in high school there was this $1 movie theatre and nearby was the coffee shop called The Drowsy Poet. in waiting for our parents to pick up, or before heading home if we were lucky enough to borrow one of our parents' cars, we'd go and grab a coffee and in all those years i never tried a biscotti. still do this day i haven't - and i feel like i've got to soon. your description of them really makes me sad that i've never had them. both the gingerbread and cranberry pistacio biscotti sound gloriously gooooood - and you bet i'll give them a go to make them gluten-free. thanks, JoLynn!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have biscotti on my "to-make"list. This just bumped it up.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That look so good! I never could even stomach the smell of regular biscotti because of the eggs... vegan baking is so much better!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am really drooling. This will be made for the holidays.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've made gluten free biscotti before but now I can't remember where the recipe was from. I'm sure I've seen it another vegan blog as well.

    Your cranberry pistachio biscotti look gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete