Thursday, November 4, 2010

Mofo #4/ Homemade chickenless nuggets and Bok choy salad

Good day to all it's day 4 of Vegan Mofo! 
Before I continue with today's food I must let you all know that Trader Joe's Hemp milk that I previously posted about is quite delicious!  Hempseeds have a strong flavor yet the milk doesn't have that taste at all and is quite mild in taste.  It seems that Hannah at bittersweet has also tried it and enjoys it as well.  They also make a vanilla hemp milk.  You can't beat the price for a great tasting non-dairy milk 

I found this great recipe online  for fat-free chickenless nuggets and I tell you these are so yummy and easy to make too.  It was less expensive to make and doesn't have a bunch of extra stuff in it as well.
The recipe comes from Happy Herbivore so click on over to get her recipe.  Her recipe does say "fat-free" but I melted a bit of Earth Balance and drizzled over each piece before I baked the nuggets.  I'm sure you could spray olive or canola if you wish to as well.


The reason for making the nuggets were to add to this crisp and crunchy bok choy salad.  One of my girlfriends signed up for the 21-Day Vegan Kickstart Challenge and I signed up as well to see about getting some new lower-fat recipes to help my husband out. This recipe by celebrity Ginnifer Goodwin stood out and it's just the perfect meal for a hot day or if you want a light meal.  I actually couldn't stop eating it. lol!  



GINNIFER'S RECIPE:

Gramma's Bok Choy (& Chick'n) Salad

Makes 6 servings

1 medium head organic bok choy, washed, cored, and dried

1 bunch organic green onions, chopped

2 1/2 ounces organic sesame seeds

1 2-ounce package organic sliced almonds

2 3-ounce packages Nissin Top Ramen Oriental noodle soup mix, uncooked

garlic powder, to taste

2 generous tablespoons soy sauce

1/4 cup rice vinegar or cider vinegar

1/2 cup organic sugar

1 package Gardein Crispy Tenders vegetarian chick'n, prepared as directed



Chop bok choy into bite-size pieces; add onions and chill. Discard seasoning packet from the soup mix or save for another use. Break up noodles. Sauté sesame seeds, almonds, and noodles in oil. Add garlic powder and salt. Cool and store in a covered container for an indefinite time. An hour before serving, combine soy sauce, vinegar, and sugar and boil for no more than 1 minute. Toss the salad with Gardein chick'n and all of the above ingredients. For variety, this salad is also great with chopped pimiento or mandarin orange. Enjoy!

*note-I used a different Ramen noodle from our local health food store.
Until tomorrow......laugh a little.

13 comments:

  1. That looks delicious! Must try. And thanks for the info on hemp milk. I'll try some next time I hit Trader Joe's.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i am gonna have to make those chickenless nuggets for dan! we have some vital wheat gluten in the house 'cause i toss a tbsp or two into his pizza crust recipe and the whole wheat bread i make him. they look wonderful - and i'm gonna follow your lead with the drizzle o' delicious earth balance, too. there's usually bok choy aplenty at the natural foods store and at the farmer's market - i'm gonna pick some up and try out that salad. it looks refreshing and light, indeed - and i'm thinking i could add some sesame oil and shredded carrots to it, too. what a great idea on the kickstart recipes - i need to check that out! the salad sounds like it would be great to take to potlucks and such as well - ooooh, and i bet mandarin oranges would be yummy in it! thanks, JoLynn!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been wondering about the Trader Joe's hemp milk. I'll have to give it a try next time I see it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the info about the hemp milk at TJs, and the link to the unchicken nuggets. I've never had a real chicken nugget but your not-nuggets look so crispy and delicious. Will check out the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just keep rubbing in the Trader Joe's thing, hey? Kidding.

    I've got to check out Lindsy's recipe for nuggets - I love nugget-y shaped foods. I enjoy eating with my fingers. Doesn't everyone?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ahh the nuggets look amazing! I cannot wait to try out that recipe. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mmmm that looks so good- I'll have to click over and try that nugget recipe!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. These look very yummy, especially atop your salad. I love bok choy and I"m always looking for new recipes to use it in. Thanks for the great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'll bet that was good... I love bokchoy

    ReplyDelete
  10. These recipes sound so healthy, just what I like. Thanks for sharing them. By the way, I'm holding a CSN giveaway on my blog and you're welcome to come by and enter. http://sweet-as-sugar-cookies.blogspot.com/2010/11/45-csn-giveaway.html

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ooh, everything looks great!

    I'm happy to hear that the Trader Joe's hemp milk is tasty. I have seen it at my local store, but wanted to wait until I knew whether or not it was good before buying it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ooh! I've never heard of bok choy salad before.

    ReplyDelete