Sunday, November 7, 2010

Vegan Mofo #7/Simple Lentil Soup w/GF Chickpea Flatbread

It's been a week of MoFo'ng already... wow it flew by!  I've been trying to view other blogs this month that I've never been on before and it makes me so happy!  Everyone is doing fabulous and there is so much yummy vegan food!

  Lentil soup is one of those that you can add and do so much to.  I chose last night just to do a simple lentil soup.
Lentil Soup

Recipe:

Olive oil
1  1/4 C. brown or french lentils, uncooked but rinsed
2 med. yellow onions, diced
6 garlic cloves, finely chopped
1 1/2 C. celery, sliced
2 C. carrots, chopped
3 red tomatoes, chopped with juices
1/3 C. white wine
6 C. un-chicken broth or vegetable broth
1/4 tsp thyme
red pepper flakes, optional
*s & p to taste
balsamic or chili oil, drizzled to serve (optional) 

1) In a large stockpot heat up 1-2 Tbsp. Olive oil.
2)Add in onion, garlic, carrots and celery cook until soft.
3)Add in red tomatoes, stir and let cook until they are quite soft.
4)Mix in lentils, white wine and thyme and cook for about 2min.
5)Pour in broth, stir and bring to a boil.
6)Once the mixture is boiling, cover with lid and bring to a simmer for about 40-45min. Cook until
   lentils are soft.
7)Once lentils are soft, use an immersion blender to blend some of it or take a cup or so and put into blender.  Blend until pureed and add back into mixture.  Stir thouroughly and add red pepper flakes if you wish and continue to cook for 10min. more.  Depending on how salty your broth is you may not need any salt.
8)Ladle into bowls.  You can drizzle balsamic or a chili olive oil on top if you wish.


Berean (Chickpea) Flatbread


Yesterday on the Melomeals $3.33 a day blog I saw these delicious flatbreads Melody  made with chickpea flour.  These are totally gluten free which is great, especially for Keaton.  The chickpea crepe recipe I usually use also contains white flour so I was very happy to make these ones. So last night I whipped some up and served them with our lentil soup!  Keaton loved these, alot. You must check them out try them for yourselves.    I also added some fresh rosemary to half the batter, yummy too.

9 comments:

  1. Your soup looks great.. I love the balsamic drizzle..

    I'm glad the flatbrad worked well for you guys. Rosemary is a great addition. I love adding scallions and a touch of sesame oil to mine and using it to wrap mooshi in.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE lentil soup, it's so easy to make and always delicious. And thanks for linking to that flatbread, it's gluten freeee!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've always hated lentil soup as a child but now as a vegan, I absolutely love it! You're right, there is so much you can do to a bowl of lentil soup. Ours is almost the same, except that you add white wine to yours. Great addition!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Somehow those 2 pictures look perfect on this cold November night.

    ReplyDelete
  5. balsamic is a great touch! good idea. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great thing you have going here. Well done. And thanks so much for sharing on my site, about wheat and candida. I really appreciate it. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yummm, looks delicious! This is exactly the kind of food that I love to eat in this miserable weather: warm and filling! I'm definitely going to be getting into some lentil soup very soon... :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just love lentil soup - this looks a lot like my favourite recipe, but I didn't think of celery. And the drizzle? Brilliant!
    Those flat breads sound so good, I need to go check out that recipe.

    ReplyDelete