Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Vegan MoFo day 17/Better late than never

Not much in the way of food today.  We went on a new hike, Farmers Market, than picked up our dinner at Santa Ynez Burrito.  They have really good burritos, I had the grilled veggie burrito. The food is all organic which makes it even better.

So this vacation post is really long over due.  I mean it's November and we took our vacation at the end of August.  We traveled up to the Giant Redwoods in Northern California.  It was so beautiful!  Instead of posting about some of the first places we ate on our way up north I'm going to start with the best meal of our trip and the most exciting one.  Just so you know this was one vacation that there was plenty of vegan options all over the place.  A vegans dream!  Just how it should be everywhere you go.

My husband's friend's daughter(did you get that?) and her husband, bought this Japanese sushi restaurant a few years back in Eureka, CA.  When he found out we were going to vacation up that way he told us to go have dinner at their restaurant. It's called Kyoto Japanese Restaruant.  We heard that  it's best to make reservations because they are always crazy crowded.  I'm glad we did.  It's not a very big place but they are in the process of expanding...again.  So we get there and let Jenni know, the owner who is so nice, that Keaton and I are vegan.  She said it was no problem and that almost everything on the menu could be made vegan.  Keaton and I smiled.   Yippy jump for joy!

This is the miso soup for starters. Yum!

When you walk into the restaurant there is this big white board with the daily specials.  It was amazing how many daily specials there were on top of what was listed on the menu.

Mushroom Veggie Stuffed Squash Blossoms



  Jenni's recommendation was the stuffed squashed blossoms on the daily menu that were filled with crab but she spoke with the chef and he stuffed them with mushrooms and veggies and the batter was rice flour instead of egg.  I have to tell you these were absolutely exquisite!  I can't say enough about them or describe them any more but let me tell you at just one bite,  my mouth was very happy!  Seriously I could of eaten a whole plate full and would have been satisfied but I still had more food to eat.
This was a cold apple salad with a light veganaise dressing and almonds. Keaton didn't really care for it but Dave and I did.




Avocado Rolls and Tofu Tempura Rolls



Keaton ordered the tofu dinner and he said it was really good.  It came with tempura tofu rectangles(front right), rice, a savory cake like rice cake thingy(sorry I forget what it was but it's in the top right corner),  ginger salad(top left), carrot slaw and sliced ginger.
Dave had a non-vegan dinner so I didn't take a picture of that.

If you are ever up on the coast of Northern California you  must stop and eat at Kyoto Japanese Restaurant!

More vacation posts with vegan food to come.   



5 comments:

  1. sound like you had a great day, JoLynn. heading to the farmer's market is one of my favorite activities. hiking is the best (although i haven't been in yeeeears), and an organic grilled veggie burrito. that's what i'm talk'n about.

    i'm looking forward to your next vacation post, indeed - this one was soooo delicious! sushis, squash blossoms, miso soup - divine!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Japanese food! Yum! I rarely go out to eat, but when I do it's often for Japanese.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A new hike?!?! Count me in. Often, a nice hike is just as good as a fine meal! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great vacation destination! And all this amazing food...any time I hear the words 'all items can be made vegan' it's like angel singing...can't wait to see what's next!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've heard Northern CA is gorgeous. Please post some scenery photos too, so I can be jealous!!!

    ReplyDelete