Monday, November 15, 2010

Vegan MoFo day 15/ Warmer weather calls for some grilling!

First let me start off by saying I'm the winner of a Trader Joe's gift card!!!   Woohoo!  They just called me and thanked me for bringing in my bag and told me the giftcard will be waiting for me.  It's funny the last trip to TJ's my husband Dave asked me when I was going to win cuz I've been filling out those slips for many many years now.  YAY!

A heart sliced beet.  That just shows how good beets are for you.  I usually juice beets but once in a while I roast them in the oven.  I also love the taste of beet greens, do you?  If you never have used them give them a try and let me know what you think.  They don't last long in the refrigerator only a couple of days or so.

Recently I've been finding that I'm not alone in craving salads again. I think it's the warmer weather we are having.  Fall salads are actually really yummy using seasonal veggies.  I grilled a large white sweet potato, russet potatoes, red  and yellow bell peppers, asparagus, carrots and beets.  I used the balsamic dressing from the other night to drizzle on top.  Served on the side of the salad are stuffed portobello mushrooms.  These mushrooms are so flippen good and is a great recipe to make for company.  The recipe is from the Candle Cafe but of course I make my adjustments.  To cut down on oil for the sauteeing of the onions and garlic I use water.  I add more garlic, cuz garlic is good, and more onion.  The rest of the ingredients are bread crumbs, sage, thyme, spinach and walnuts.  I don't use a measuring cup I just eye it. 

Goodnight!

7 comments:

  1. Congratulations on winning a gift card!

    I love salads all year round but the ones in autumn/winter are always more filling than summery salad!

    ReplyDelete
  2. garlic is always good (and beets!) - i say, the more the merrier! mmmmmmmmm! i need to get that Candle 79 cookbook - i keep hearing it's pretty darn amazing. huzzah for grilled veggies to create a fall themed salad. oooh, yum! it's warming up just a smidge here, but the mornings are pretty cool. dan and i didn't use our grill once over the summer - kinda sad now that i think about it. maybe we'll get it go'n and follow your delicious lead, JoLynn! so sweeeeeeeeeeeet on the Trader Joe's giftcard! i love how inexpensive their goods are - think of all the rock'n stuff you can buy. yay!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay for the gift card! The food looks super delicious. Mmm mmm.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats on the Trader Joes gift card! OMG, I love, love beet greens! I had no idea they were so good. I like them better than spinach and I love spinach. Yum, grilled veggie salad! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats on the gift card. NICE!!!! We eat beet greens all of the time. I have some baby golden beets in the garden right now. We also planted more mixed greens and lettuce that are coming up. YAY for Fall salads.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations.... Great news. Also I love that dish....those veggies look to good to eat...so yummy looking.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Winter/ fall salads are some of the best! Now that it's not miserably hot, it makes sense to roast up tons of veggies and such. That combo above really sounds delicious.

    ReplyDelete