Friday, April 13, 2012

Potato Leek Spinach Soup and a new GF Snack!

We've had so many issues with this laptop.  We need to send it in again for repair.  While it is somewhat working here we go!
            Happy Friday the 13th!
We woke up early this morning with very loud thunder and lots of lightening.  Our Ace dog came running in and jumped on our bed.  He's a big baby.  It's not even going to reach 60degrees out and it's April!  Oh well we need all the rain we can get.
There was a new GF snack on sale at our health food store so I thought we would give it a try.
Have any of you seen or tried Bhuja snack mixes before?  They are gluten free. These are quite good and have a multi grain noodles, crunchy chickpeas, green peas and peanuts in them.  I just wish the sodium was a bit lower but I can see these sprinkled on a salad or even mixed in with other gf crackers and pretzels.  These would be great to have out at a party.  Looking forward to trying some of the other mixes.
During a break in the rain on Wednesday I hit up the Farmers Market with a friend and bought some beautiful leeks and spinach to make this yummy Potato Leek Spinach Soup.  I don't usually make pureed soups but I've had pototo leek soup on my mind and I thought it would be nice to make it a bit healthier with some spinach.  Talk about an easy soup to make!  It can also be left chunky and just add the spinach at the end.

Potato Leek Spinach Soup
serves 4

INGREDIENTS:
1 T. extra virgin olive oil or water/vegetable broth
3 leeks, white and light green parts washed and sliced
1 large yellow onion(1 1/2 C.), chopped
4 cloves garlic,finely chopped or minced
3 large Yukon Gold potatoes (about 1 pound), peeled and cubed
5 cups vegetable stock
2 C. fresh spinach
1-2 tsp. fresh rosemary, minced
sea salt to taste

1. Heat a large pot over medium heat and add the oil or water/vegetable broth.

2. Add the leeks and onion.  I like to cover the pot with a lid for about 5-10min. which helps the onions soften quicker and also helps so the onions don't stick if only using water/broth.  Just check every couple of minutes and stir.

3. Add the garlic and stir well. Cook for 1 minute more.

4. Add the potatoes and vegetable stock, cover, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to simmer. Cook 20 minutes or until potatoes are tender.

5.  Add in the rosemary and spinach for about a minute.

5. Remove the soup from the heat and use an immersion blender or if using a blender add a cup or so at a time. Blend until smooth.  Pour smooth soup back into the pot until just heated through.

The rosemary adds such a nice flavor to this soup.

Serve with grilled vegan cheese sandwich or baguette.

Enjoy!

8 comments:

  1. I love the Bhuja mixes! My fave is the cracker mix in the green bag... yummy!

    Just found your blog today... looking forward to reading more.

    -- Lois

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lois, Where have I been and not seeing these mixes before? Thanks for finding me!

      Delete
  2. Thunder and lightening to start off with on Friday the 13th...very a propo! Haha, not even 60 and it's April...well, that's pretty much what we're used to up here in WA. I'm sure your weather will warm up to its lovely norms soon.

    I think I've tried those snacks before...or something similar anyway. It's a great idea to sprinkle them on salads!

    Your soup looks so vibrant! It sounds delicious! I love the addition of spinach to the mix...I'm going to try that next time I make some potato leek soup.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hee hee. I'm sure it will be hot in no time. It's been crazy everywhere. I really like Washington.

      Delete
  3. Your dog sounds so much like my parents' companion animals. The all meet on the bed during a rainstorm.
    I have never seen that brand of snacks, but I love that kind, especially when they are spicy. Your soup sounds wonderful. It was always hard to get fresh spinach over here, but now a new health food store started carrying it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a lovely, deep shade of green! I bet this soup would be just as delicious cold as it is hot- A very useful quality for highly changeable spring weather. :)

    ReplyDelete