Happy Friday the 13th!We woke up early this morning with very loud thunder and lots of lightening. Our Ace dog came running in and jumped on our bed. He's a big baby. It's not even going to reach 60degrees out and it's April! Oh well we need all the rain we can get.
There was a new GF snack on sale at our health food store so I thought we would give it a try.Bhuja snack mixes before? They are gluten free. These are quite good and have a multi grain noodles, crunchy chickpeas, green peas and peanuts in them. I just wish the sodium was a bit lower but I can see these sprinkled on a salad or even mixed in with other gf crackers and pretzels. These would be great to have out at a party. Looking forward to trying some of the other mixes.
Potato Leek Spinach Soup
1 T. extra virgin olive oil or water/vegetable broth
3 leeks, white and light green parts washed and sliced
1 large yellow onion(1 1/2 C.), chopped
4 cloves garlic,finely chopped or minced
3 large Yukon Gold potatoes (about 1 pound), peeled and cubed
5 cups vegetable stock
2 C. fresh spinach
1-2 tsp. fresh rosemary, minced
sea salt to taste
1. Heat a large pot over medium heat and add the oil or water/vegetable broth.
2. Add the leeks and onion. I like to cover the pot with a lid for about 5-10min. which helps the onions soften quicker and also helps so the onions don't stick if only using water/broth. Just check every couple of minutes and stir.
3. Add the garlic and stir well. Cook for 1 minute more.
4. Add the potatoes and vegetable stock, cover, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to simmer. Cook 20 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
5. Add in the rosemary and spinach for about a minute.
5. Remove the soup from the heat and use an immersion blender or if using a blender add a cup or so at a time. Blend until smooth. Pour smooth soup back into the pot until just heated through.
The rosemary adds such a nice flavor to this soup.
Serve with grilled vegan cheese sandwich or baguette.