Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Flax Milk?

This post has a bit of this and that. 
 I'll start off with the other day when I was visiting another blog, Vegan Crunk, she did a review on Good Karma Flax Milk.  I couldn't wait to try it.  That afternoon I went down to our local health food store and low and behold....
Good Karma Flax Milk was sitting right there along with the other non-dairy milks. 
Does this taste like flax?  At first sip it doesn't have much flavor but then you get a very suble taste of flax, very subtle.  It has more flavor than rice milk, just thought I'd mention that.  There is 1200mg of Omega-3 per serving.  Thats huge!
Another great non-dairy milk to add to our rotation.

For lunch yesterday I had a chopped romaine salad, with tomatoes, brocolli, carrots, radish, green onion, sesame seeds and a  homemade ginger dressing.  This is a great dressing and tastes like the one they use at a Japenese restaurant.  I filled 1/2 C. with 1/3 of canola oil and the rest water.
Roasted Sweet Potatoes with Hazelnuts and Arugula

My mother in law had a recipe that I made for Thanksgiving(I know it's January).  I'm not sure where she got the recipe from but it turned out great!  I love the addition of the hazelnuts.  I can't wait to have company over to make it again and it looks so pretty. 


Roasted Sweet Potatoes, Hazelnuts and Arugula

3 or 4 sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into wedges(I used white and orange sweet potatoes)
2 Tbsp. Olive oil
1/2tsp salt or to taste
2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
1/4 C. hazelnuts, coarsely chopped
2 C. arugula
balsamic syrup(thick balsamic) -the recipe called for 2-3 T. apple cider vinegar


Heat oven to 400F.  Peel and cut potato wedges then put onto baking sheet and toss with olive oil and salt.
Roast for about 20 min., then turn over and roast for 20 more minutes or so until golden brown.  Open  oven and mix in the chopped garlic and hazelnuts.  Roast for another 5min.

Take out of oven, plate in on a serving plate and top with arugula and drizzle with balsamic vinegar.

8 comments:

  1. I really like that flax milk. I've been getting the unsweetened kind. Nice neutral flavor so it's good for everything!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They didn't have unsweetened at the time, only vanilaa and original.

      Delete
  2. Interesting, I haven't heard about the flax milk. I'll have to look for it next time I'm at Whole Foods. I love the kind of dressing used at Japanese restaurants. Thanks for the link! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a delicious post ;)
    I don't really like the sound of flax milk ~ but I'm now curious enough to go out and try it. So thanks for that.
    Your recipes sound great - I'm in the mood for that arugula salad right now! ;D

    ps. thanks for visiting me today. I answered your questions on my posts - I hope you received a response automatically. If not, thank you thank you. and the sofa is from mobilia.ca (yes that's ca - canada not ca - california ;) lol I do hope that helps you though track down something similar - we are really happy with ours. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ella-I was on the fence regarding the flax milk, but it really has such a mild flavor. It does have a neutral flavor like Sarah said. I like it better than rice milk.

      Delete
  4. I didn't know there was such a thing as flax milk! I need to find something for my coffee. I don't like soy milk, rice milk is too thin, and almond milk makes my coffee taste funny. I'll check next time I'm shopping and see if I can find it. Salads look great!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooo, I'll have to totally check that out just for the Omega 3's. Thanks for the info.

    ReplyDelete