Thursday, June 21, 2012

Grilling plant foods and Farmers Market

It's the second day of Summer.  Happy Summer everyone!
Yesterday was so beautiful and the Farmers Market was over flowing with beautiful colors and smells.  Happily sampling fruits and pistachios as my friend and I walked amongst the tents of organic goods.  Before we left we hung out and watched my friend's band play.  Good times.
These are local beans from a couple of towns over.  The middle bag are yellow beans which are recommended for Chili.  Since these are local they are fresher which means the cooking time is less.  They turned out to have a nice mellow flavor.  I used them below...
Grilled Vegetable Nachos
Father's Day grilling.  The above is grilled seitan marinated in a chimichurri sauce. The seitan recipe I use for grilling is taken from Veganomicon.  This is one of my husband's favorite meals.  I haven't made it since last year so he was happily surprised with dinner.
 Local artichokes that were steamed then drizzled with olive oil, garlic, lemon and sea salt then put on the grill.  Local corn too.

Stuffed Portobello Mushrooms that I grill as well.  Our local health food store had these HUGE  organic Portobello Mushrooms. One of them fed the 3 of us.  We noticed that these Portobello's were really light and airy compared to all of the other ones we have eaten. 

After visiting the Farmers Market I always realize just how lucky we are too have all of this fresh food available to us.  I definitely am so thankful for this!

Getting back to grilling.  This is a great meal to serve to someone who is trying to switch to a plant based diet.  The texture of the seitan and the flavor of the Portobello satisfies everyone's tastes. 
On another note it is my husband's first day of juicing.  Yep he had his first green juice this morning.   He is going to try to follow the Crazy Sexy Diet plan with my help, well with my preparation. ha! 
I'll share my new juicer I bought a couple of months ago next time.

Be thankful for what you have and smile!

12 comments:

  1. wow those stuffed portobellos look outrageous!! so delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. glutenfreehappytummy-Stuffed PortobelloS are delicious! I only use a small amount of bread crumbs(gf crumbs can be used)in the stuffing. You don't even have to use bread crumbs.

      Delete
  2. Wow, those are great finds at the farmers market! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. chow-thanks. Farmers Market smelled heavenly too with all of the fresh fruit.

      Delete
  3. Beautiful!! Gotta' love the Farmers Market!!! http://veganamericanprincess.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi hun! I haven't dropped by in ages but I am loving the new look for your blog!

    All of this food looks so good, especially that GIANT portobello mushie, wow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mandee! It has been a while good to hear from you.

      Delete
  5. Yay for summer and local beans!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've never grilled artichokes before (I always just steam them), but that sounds so good! I love pretty much anything (pizza included!) grilled.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Claryn-you will love grilled artichokes! Let me know if you do try them.

      Delete
  7. What a beautiful stuffed mushroom! I love the Crazy Sexy Diet book, I am following a lot of her advice and I am feeling so much better :-)

    ReplyDelete