Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Carmelized Onion and Kale Quiche

Happy Wednesday!  Four more episodes of LOST!  For those of you who are fellow LOST fans,
are any of you going to have a party for the finaly?    I still can't believe it's going to end.  Oh well, I just hope the writers don't let us down!

So here is another juice.  Another pretty pic, it looks like sherbert doesn't it?
I juiced carrots, celery, pink lady apple and a beet.
The other night I made another quiche/tart but instead of using firm water packed tofu I used silken firm tofu.  The results are more of any eggy, custard texture which I must say was really, really, really good.  This is a carmelized onion and kale quiche.  I love onions anyways, especially carmelized, yum!  What's so great about these quiches are that everyone loves them and they can't tell it's missing the eggs.  I thought it would be fun to make a nutritional comparisan between a vegan quiche and a non-vegan one. I found a carmelized onion tart online that seems to be on alot of different sites so I went with that one.   The cool thing is on this particular site they already had the nutritional info, easier for me because I only had to calculate  my quiche. The one I found is a carmelized onion tarte  and it's here at http://www.delish.com/recipefinder/caramelized-onion-tart-recipe.  I added kale to mine. 
I actually got 6 servings from my quiche but the one on delish.com says 4 servings so I adjusted my nutritional info accordingly to 4 servings.

                                       Nutritional Information

Egg and dairy version          My recipe                                                    
                                                                 
by delish.com                                                                          
(per serving)

Calories 495                                        Calories 306.25
Total Fat 32g                                       Total Fat  18g
Saturated Fat 13g                                Sat. Fat  2.75g
Cholesterol 204mg                               Cholesterol    0
Sodium 510mg                                     Sodium 444mg
Total Carbohydrate 36g                       Carbs  21g
Dietary Fiber 3g                                  Dietary Fiber 4.75g
Sugars --                                             Sugars --
Protein 15g                                          Protein 15.5 g
Calcium  268                                      Calcium  237

So you can see the difference here, the vegan quiche has 0 cholesterol and less fat. I tried to calculate the calcium content of the egg/dairy tart and came up with 268g of calcium.  The body actually absorbs more calcium from plant foods than from animal products so even though the egg/dairy version has a bit more you are absorbing more from the vegan quiche.  Down below is my recipe.

Carmelized Onion and Kale Quiche
 vegan version

2-3 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
2 medium/lg sweet onions or 2 cups, thinly sliced
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 cups chopped kale, or to your liking (you can skip the kale if it's  not your thing)
1 12.3 oz. box mori-nu extra firm tofu
2 tsp. low sodium white miso
2 tsp. arrowroot powder or 1 T. cornstarch
1/4 c. nutritional yeast
1/4 cup unsweetened soymilk
1 1/2 tsp lemon juice
1/2 tsp salt
pinch of nutmeg

Crust
(This is a crust for one pie but  I only used half of the dough, just so the crust was thin)

1/2 C. +2 T. spelt flour
1/2 C. sorghum flour
1/8 tsp salt
2 T. Earth Balance original whipped(or your choice)
2 T. cold water

I used a 6-inch round stoneware pan so the tart would be thicker.  Oil the pan and I lined mine with parchment paper so when it's done I could take the whole quiche out and then cut into slices.

For the crust:
 In a food processor add the flour, salt and Earth Balance and pulse until crumbly.  Next pour in the cold water and pulse until smooth.  Take out, make a ball, then make a flat disk and wrap in plastic  and put in refrigerator for about an hour. 


Heat oven to 350.

1. When crust is firm, roll out half the dough, or for a thicker crust roll out all of it.  Press into pan, make a few pricks on the bottom and bake for about 10min.  Take out and set aside.

2.  Heat a saute pan and add the olive oil to it.  Next add in the onions and let cook until just beginning to brown, this can take up to half an hour so keep watch and stir every so often.

3.  While onions are carmelizing in a food processor blend until smooth the tofu, garlic, miso, arrowroot, nutritional yeast, soymilk, lemon juice, salt and nutmeg.  Set aside.

4. When the onions are brown and sweet add the kale and cook until tender.

5. Take the onion and kale mixture and spoon it into the processor mixture.  Pulse a few times to combine.
Season to tast with more salt and pepper if wanted.

Bake at 350 for 45-50 minutes until firm and lightly brown on top.

Serve warm and along with a crisp salad or cold the next day is really good too.
Enjoy!

11 comments:

  1. Pink Lady Apples are my favorite! Your juice looks amazing! I am jealous of your juicing skills! :) Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. your juice looks so pretty, JoLynn - it's ever-so colorful and spring-like. yay!

    dan and i have yet to make quiche as vegans. i'm gonna have to make one soon for us though - the combination of carmelized onions and kale sounds too good to pass up! so awesome on the silken tofu working out so well, and i love that you did a nutritional comparison. the vegan quiche totally wins - and you make an excellent point about the body absorbing plant souce calcium much more effectively than animal based ickies. superw00t! Jes from cupcakepunk has a great gluten-free crust recipe that i'll use for your quiche, too. i can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks for stopping by my blog. that quiche looks delish! i'm not a huge onion fan myself, but could just sub mushrooms or something... thanks for providing a recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your rainbow juice, such pretty colours! And I would love a slice of quiche, yummo!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Perfect timing! I had some leftover kale that I thought would be perfect in a quiche and was going to look up some tofu quiche recipes online. Thanks for saving me the trouble!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The juicer is what makes all of these cool looking designs, I just add the fruit and veggies.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beets in juice! Love it. Also the quiche... yummy, yummy, yummy.
    I have been really thinking about you and all of the things I want to make with my swiss chard. Lots of sprouts in the garden. I will take some picks of the garden for you. I am also trying to grow boc choy this year. We have so many seedlings! I also planted a ton of gourds. About 8 different varieties. I will bring you some. I have 20+ that have sprouted. Miss you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete