Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Ladybugs!!! Grilled Bok Choy and Veggies with Lemon Marinade

 It must be the effects of Summer getting to me because I haven't been updating my blogs as much as I would like.  I hope you all are enjoying your summer.

Last week during our hike we stumbled upon something pretty amazing.  I've never seen anything like it.
There were thousands of ladybugs right by a stream coming down from the mountain.  It was crazy at how many there were!

While we were standing there looking in awe of them, they started to fly onto us.   That was a bit weird.
I don't know what kind of plant this is that they were on.  Do any of you? 
Moving on to something with the same color scheme. hee hee 
Here is a juice with celery, kale, parsley, apple and beets. 
We pretty much grill everything during the summer but this was my first time grilling bok choy. I just cut them in halves and poured a lemon marinade over them and all of the other veggies.  I then let them marinade for a couple of hours before I grilled them.

 
Veggies served over brown rice. 
A great book I bought myself a couple of years ago called The New Vegetarian Grill is a must have for summer months.  It's because of this book that I tried grilling the brocolli and bok choy!  The key is to marinate the veggies really well, especially the brocolli.  Anyways, it's easy to adapt the recipes to vegan too! The marinade I made consisted of soy sauce, lemon, garlic, olive oil, sesame oil, water and maple syrup.
Cheers!

14 comments:

  1. That's an insane amount of ladybugs! I love it, they seem so happy and lucky! ;)

    Your smoothie looks like some ladybugs stopped by for a sip, how perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The plant the lady bugs were on was poision ivy, I hope you guys didn't touch it. The food looks great Love all of it.

    http://nuestracena-vegancuisine.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Millie: Poison Ivy doesn't grow out here in California, although this does resemble it, but we have plenty of Poison Oak.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You juice looks great but it kind of creeps me out after seeing all those lady bugs! That is nuts! What state?

    ReplyDelete
  5. HayMarket8-Yeh the ladybugs were almost creepy just because they kept on landing on us and it wasn't just one or two at a time. We were trying to cross the stream without hurting any of them. It was cool and weird at the same time.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! Check out those ladybugs, that's awesome! Some sort of mass social migration or something??

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's crazy about all those ladybugs! What a sight.

    Don't lose hope on the tofurky pizza. I think it's supposed to hit CA in September.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have never seen that many lady bugs at one time. I wonder what they were doing? A bug convention or some sort. ;-) Fascinating photo.

    Ali

    ReplyDelete
  9. What an awesome ladybug invasion! Last year there were tons of ladybus where we are and our friend's windows looke like this. I love the themed juice!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Those ladybugs are something else. Were they crawling into spider webs on the leaves? I was worried about them getting eaten.

    I love the way the grilled bok choy looks. In fact, all the veggies look so appetizing they make me want to go out and get a new grill to replace our defunct one.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Woah, that ladybug log is crazy! I've never seen so many of them in one place before! Good thing it's said that they're harbingers of good luck... :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. That is a lot of ladybugs! I never seen so many in one spot. Is that normal for them?

    Yum! I pretty much love anything grilled. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Those ladybugs are insane! I remember making a grilled bok choy salad a while ago that was quite delicious, though anything grilled is good in my book. Your salad looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Those lady bugs are amazing! I would have just sat there for hours watching them! I love ladybugs! That juice looks refreshing too. I miss my juicer.

    ReplyDelete